Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sleepless in Manhattan

During the Thanksgiving weekend I decided to spend a night at my parents apartment in midtown Manhattan. My takeout Italian dinner cost me nearly $40, which came as a shock after getting used to paying only half for food in Gravesend. Why was I eating takeout? My family doesn’t cook, not even for Thanksgiving. But the worst thing was the noise! It was kind of difficult to fall asleep when I could hear every single conversation going on in the street, even though I was on the third floor! Since my parents live near a lot of bars the flow of people did not really stop until dawn. Next time I leave a bar I will be more considerate of the neighbors. Then every person that walked up the stairs seemed to shake the very foundation of the 100 plus year old brownstone. I haven't lived in Gravesend for a long time but it sure didn't a long time for me to get accustomed to a much simpler and quieter kind of lifestyle.

No comments: