Sunday, September 23, 2007

A forgotten part of history
















The first time that Gravesend's history piked my interest was when I came upon a cemetery on one of my walks. It is located on Village Road S. and Lake Street about a block away from the Avenue U stop on the F train. Surrounded by picturesque homes, the cemetery almost takes up a whole block with a few houses bordering it. Through the gates one can see that most of the gravestones have been worn down by time, the most recent ones appear to be from the 1930s. Although not open to the public broken bottles and plastic bags still managed to find their way inside the grounds. Two plaques explain the cemetery’s history. The latest plaque being from 1976. I think it is time for an upgrade. But that is besides the point. I was really struck by the fact that Gravesend was established in 1643! Not only that it was founded by a woman: Lady Deborah Moody. I felt like I had found a forgotten and important part of history.

No comments: