Saturday, September 29, 2007

I heart Pigeons

It feels like ages since I have been able to spend a leisurely morning at home. As I drank my coffee and stared out my kitchen window I noticed a flock of pigeons flying in circles in the sky. I know that is not an unusual sight. What surprised me was actually seeing them all land on somebody's roof where I saw a number of pigeon coops. A man was there feeding some of the pigeons and checking the cages. Apparently my neighbor raises or trains pigeons which to me is pretty cool. I wanted to take a picture but thought better of it. I am not sure if it's legal to raise pigeons and I wouldn't want to get him in trouble. I know to a lot of people view pigeons as just rats with wings but I am a pigeon sympathizer. Every time I see one hurt, if I can, I try to bring it home and help it heal. It's nice to know I am not the only one who admires them around these parts. You have to admit they are the ultimate NYC survivors. So kudos to the roof top man and the lady next door who feeds them like clockwork every morning. Oh and if you heart pigeons too check out this site: nycprc.org/

No comments: