Saturday, October 6, 2007

The lure of 7-Eleven

Well no matter how delicious slushies are, anything that is DayGlo can't be good. But this post isn't about the food at 7-Eleven it is about the people that the food attracts. When the store first opened (about six months ago?) on my block I was grateful to have that orange, green, and red awning illuminate my path home. I no longer had to half run/walk out of the train and down a dark and deserted block. However now that knowledge of the place has spread it has become the fave hangout spot for lots of different people. The late night drunks who mistake the corner for a bar. Whoever the person is who is just going to go in for a minute and leaves their car parked right on the corner, nearly on the sidewalk. Then there are the teenagers who somehow get a thrill of standing in front of the store into the wee hours of the morning. (I wonder why they don't hang out in the nearby park?) But mostly I just feel bad for them because I remember not having anywhere to hang out either. Do I sound old? Should I even care? After all I do always get home without incident. (Knock on wood). And a late night snack never hurt anyone.

No comments: